• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Gameboy Pocket Saga

• jamesyfx
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
Last edited:
I decided to spend a insignificant amount of money on a faulty Gameboy Pocket which had a screen which would not display anything. It had been modified (but I didn't know to what extent). So I figured I could open it up, see what was wrong and easily fix it with no parts required.

… Not everything goes that way unfortunately. I got it, and opened the thing up. Wow.

It had jump wires going here, there and everywhere all across the board. It had an early bivert mod applied to it, as well as an incorrectly installed backlight. Worst part was the soldering job was HORRIFIC. Every joint was really badly soldered and the wiring was very poor, with ripped insulation up and down etc.

So first thing I thought I would do is cover the board in IPA, give it a nice deep clean throughout. Then I thought I would reflow solder joints. I only got so far… Then I realised there were a bunch of traces and contacts that had lifted.

Sigh. I could repair this MAYBE. But these wires everywhere are so redundant these days, I might as well just start over, retain the housing as it's a nice transparent glow-in-the-dark shell and either go for a more up to date backlight and bivert mod (which now is a tiny thing you solder direct to contacts)… or just go full IPS display (which is a better picture but super detrimental to battery life).

I decided to go down one of these routes. I'll post an update once I have something working!

Update 1: I went for the IPS display. It has tons of cool features which are kiiinda finicky but it's the neatest solution. Essentially it has a built-in heads up display where it can show stuff like battery life as well as what palette you're using:

Yes it supports colour pallettes! It's not a Gameboy Color nor does the hardware support colour graphics. The IPS display does though! As many of you know the Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket screen supports 4 shades of grey. The screen can shuffle these however it likes though into whatever colour and there's about 35 handy presets so you can basically play original Gameboy stuff in colour on a non-colour Gameboy. :ROFLMAO: It also supports different brightness's as well as applying a pleasant pixel grid mode.

Still working on getting it all together but its cool. I say the features are finicky as they are all touch-sensor based. And a loose touch here or there might change a setting. I probably would have preferred a button combination to set this stuff but that would involve more silly wiring!

Very nice on getting it fixed, I really do need to learn more stuff about that, specially with me being in IT tech support.

I'm happy with my result, I've finished it now.

I had to change the front case to a white one as the old screen was really glued in there and I ended up breaking it. I re-used the back from the original which is transparent glow-in-the-dark back cover. So it's quite unique looking!

I'll upload some pictures.

You can see the original board with all it's crazy wiring. As well as the finished product. I've since cleaned all the residue off the back too as it did have some labels there but I took em off to make it more transparent.

Attachments

• 7B1CA0BD-EC3E-4EE6-9E16-C71C8528586A.jpeg
    7B1CA0BD-EC3E-4EE6-9E16-C71C8528586A.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 2C52F9F1-7519-4EAC-B2A5-C3AE8F668649.jpeg
    2C52F9F1-7519-4EAC-B2A5-C3AE8F668649.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 352A0946-E441-4B24-BE98-92872C9692A9.jpeg
    352A0946-E441-4B24-BE98-92872C9692A9.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 472BB2AF-7C66-4787-8015-2A7FD0FA3CF8.jpeg
    472BB2AF-7C66-4787-8015-2A7FD0FA3CF8.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 120
  • B13CE931-F02E-45DE-BBE8-7F56E47A64BA.jpeg
    B13CE931-F02E-45DE-BBE8-7F56E47A64BA.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 123

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back