• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Next-Generation Consoles

Ash

Reaction score
So both the Xbox Series x and PlayStation 5 will be releasing next month.

Which console will you be getting? And have you managed to get a pre-order for either of the consoles?

I don't think I'll be purchasing either one to be honest, at least not straight away..

My backlog is already bursting at the seams, I don't really have the time to sit down and play all too often, and I'm still sporting a 12-year-old plasma TV which could probably do with being replaced first.. :LOL:

I'll wait a while like I always do. I'll go with the xbox most likely, because I prefer the controller usually.

It seems to be a win-win situation with being patient these days..
  • Early teething issues with hardware/software ironed out and revised
  • Possible "slim" or "pro" revisions of hardware and/or special editions
  • "Gold" or "GoTY" releases of games shipped with season passes or DLC
  • Price reductions
I dare say the temptation will get the better of me at some stage.. 😅

Reactions: Lee
It seems to be a win-win situation with being patient these days..
  • Early teething issues with hardware/software ironed out and revised
  • Possible "slim" or "pro" revisions of hardware and/or special editions
  • "Gold" or "GoTY" releases of games shipped with season passes or DLC
  • Price reductions
I dare say the temptation will get the better of me at some stage.. 😅
Yes, this is probably the first release I haven't preordered since the ps1. I am just not excited by them, for some reason. Id rather use the money for other things.

To be fair, hardware-wise, there doesn't seem to be many issues at launch nowadays. It's very rare for there to be a problem with the console. And in terms of the pro version, I don't think I'm patient enough to wait for it lol

I'm holding off until there are some exclusives to draw my attention. Just having the latest games, high frame rates and high speed loading is not enough for me as I've got a powerful gaming rig. Been doing that stuff for years already!

I have a PS4 which is entirely for the exclusives.. When Judgment came out.. that was the last time it was switched on.

To be fair, hardware-wise, there doesn't seem to be many issues at launch nowadays. It's very rare for there to be a problem with the console.
I'm just sceptical after the Xbox 360.. I thought people were just abusing their consoles until I got my first of many RRoD 😬

I have a digital PS5 preordered and already paid for. I'll pick up the series X next year when console specific exclusives come out for it as my X One X is less than a year old

I'm just sceptical after the Xbox 360.. I thought people were just abusing their consoles until I got my first of many RRoD 😬
Oh, id forgotten about the red ring of death.

I lost 3 consoles to that 😂

I lost track of how many I lost.. My first one was before Microsoft extended the warranty on them. I sent it off to an independent shop who said it was irreparable as some of the components had started melting! 😱 It was sold for parts, and I invested in an "Elite".

Thankfully they seemed to get on top of the issues a bit more with the Slim revisions, but I'd severely lost faith in Microsoft and switched back to PlayStation.

I've always had good luck with my consoles. I've never had anything fail - but I'm an unusual character and take apart my stuff occasionally to scrub it inside and out...

I can't tell you how oddly satisfying it is to polish up an EMI shield to a mirror shine...

I'm excited to get the Xbox Series X but I'm going to hold off on getting it right away and just play Black Ops Cold War on Xbox One X. Really it's because my site is overdue for a software upgrade to 2.2 and I'm going to need the money to do that sometime in December as well as get a few nice add-ons here and there.

Though I do look forward to getting it sometime after. Should be a great console to have.

PS5 for me. I thought I was happy skipping the launch of both systems this time, but when I discovered a friend had a spare pre-order (partly placed in anticipation of me changing my mind!) I couldn't resist. I've been Day 1 for every PlayStation console so far, so it was naive to think I'd get through 2020 without a PS5.. (or at least be content with that).

I haven't had a PS4 for a while so there is a decent stack of games for me to get to there, once I'm done with Demons Souls.

I'm not much of a console gamer, but I might get a Switch just because my partner wants to play AC.

I'm not much of a console gamer, but I might get a Switch just because my partner wants to play AC.

The Switch is a great machine to have on the side. It's kinda addictive, and it's not as much as a novelty as one might think, as a majority PC gamer myself. Games like The Binding of Isaac or Dead Cells are much better suited for a handheld in my opinion.

As far as Animal Crossing goes........ Yeaaaahh. It's fun. Until you get bored of it, and then you just can't really go and pick it up again after leaving it for a month. Just can't bring myself to ever play it again.

That's the same thing that I heard about recently. I know a lot of people enjoy Animal Crossing but the game does seem to get boring after a little while for some. It seems to be a little too repetitive.

I keep hearing good things about the Switch, and it caught my attention when I learned that they could be quite easily modded.. :halo_imp:

My brother has recently bought one, so I'll probably have a quick play on his over Christmas and try to weigh up whether or not I want one.

My younger sister wanted a Switch as well but the joycon drifting issues put us off from purchasing one. It doesn't help that with the Switch lite, you would have to send the whole unit for it to be repaired.

We got the girls (yes honestly, not me...) a switch for Christmas. It has gone down superbly with the kids and the wife. I'm particularly enjoying the family favourite Mario cart and Zelda.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back