• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

XenForo

Red Queen

Artificial intelligence
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
xenForo_logo_logotype.jpg

XenForo is the software that Umbrella Online uses exclusively to power its site and community. It boasts a modern and intuitive interface, and enjoys an increasing market share of forum software usage. Its ownership and development team largely consists of former vBulletin / Jelsoft employees. Umbrella Online is probably one of the more heavily modified XenForo communities that you are likely to see running no less than 100+ add-ons, with @Oblivion Knight taking a keen interest in customisation.

Current members:
@Oblivion Knight
@jamesyfx
@Lee
@Smokey
@Alexander.
@apathy
@Ash
@TopSilver
@Gemma
@Xyphien
@Nous
@Fait
@Demon_skeith

Please use this thread to discuss XenForo, and its related add-ons.

I'm just about finished with my tinkering, honest! :laughing_and_shushing: I'm sure @Gemma can relate to just how addictive it can be..

Umbrella Online is my playground, of which I take great enjoyment and satisfaction from. My focus in the coming months will be back on content.

I was an early adopter of XenForo, I used to run a site using it which was relatively popular (loooong gone). I found the software a joy to use, far less cumbersome than most of the alrrrnatives.

I was an early adopter of XenForo, I used to run a site using it which was relatively popular (loooong gone). I found the software a joy to use, far less cumbersome than most of the alrrrnatives.
Was it version 1.x that you used then? It's come even further since then.. :)

I've always been an SMF guy, could never afford a vB license back in the day when that was the go-to option. But over the lockdown I had a good bit of cash lying around and really wanted to splash out on a nice piece of software, so I went with Xen knowing a lot of the vB folk are responsible for it.
I've been delighted with it so far! I was pretty easily able to transfer all my features and stuff to Xen. I didn't have as much trouble getting used to the Template system than I thought I would, since with SMF I'd just open the source files in an editor and upload them with FTP instead.

My only problem so far is I'm struggling to understand Xen's addon system. SMF used what I assume is an older version of PHP that is way easier to understand, and you can kind of just drop SQL queries wherever you want. Xen isn't so simple, but I've also only had it for maybe 2 months, so hopefully it's simply a matter of time before I get a grasp on that area.

My only problem so far is I'm struggling to understand Xen's addon system. SMF used what I assume is an older version of PHP that is way easier to understand, and you can kind of just drop SQL queries wherever you want. Xen isn't so simple, but I've also only had it for maybe 2 months, so hopefully it's simply a matter of time before I get a grasp on that area.
SMF just isn't as well written (sorry, but it's true!).

Don't worry, I'm struggling with it too - but thankfully there's one or two good eggs amongst the support forums that usually help out with any major issues that I can't resolve through template changes. Otherwise, you don't really need to add custom code - there's plenty of good quality add-ons available, even if it does start becoming a tad expensive!

Don't worry, I'm struggling with it too - but thankfully there's one or two good eggs amongst the support forums that usually help out with any major issues that I can't resolve through template changes. Otherwise, you don't really need to add custom code - there's plenty of good quality add-ons available, even if it does start becoming a tad expensive!
Lol no offense taken, I agree it's sadly just not as well designed. I'm a pretty DIY kinda guy so I personally love messing around with it, but it can definitely have some kind of funky behavior you just get used to.

Yeah the Xenforo template system is surprisingly more powerful than I thought it would be, and it's why I've had little issue in carrying over most of my work. The folk on the support forums have also been pretty helpful on a number of different matters. There are still 1 or 2 small things I'd like done - a "Top Shouters" section on the Notable Members page for example, so I might hire someone to do some odd jobs in the New Year.
At that point, I will have everything I want out of Xen. The addons do cover a lot of what I need, and I also don't mind the price since they're all very well made.

Lol no offense taken, I agree it's sadly just not as well designed. I'm a pretty DIY kinda guy so I personally love messing around with it, but it can definitely have some kind of funky behavior you just get used to.

Yeah the Xenforo template system is surprisingly more powerful than I thought it would be, and it's why I've had little issue in carrying over most of my work. The folk on the support forums have also been pretty helpful on a number of different matters. There are still 1 or 2 small things I'd like done - a "Top Shouters" section on the Notable Members page for example, so I might hire someone to do some odd jobs in the New Year.
At that point, I will have everything I want out of Xen. The addons do cover a lot of what I need, and I also don't mind the price since they're all very well made.
Is that for Siropu's shoutbox? The main problem I foresee is if you archive/delete shouts after a certain time has passed.. 🤔

It is yeah, and I actually forgot that's even the default behavior, I disabled the job to prune shouts! Totally explains why that's not already a thing, lol.

I'm just about finished with my tinkering, honest! :laughing_and_shushing: I'm sure @Gemma can relate to just how addictive it can be..

Umbrella Online is my playground, of which I take great enjoyment and satisfaction from. My focus in the coming months will be back on content.
Haha, yeah just a little. If you've ever visited one of my forums in the past you'll soon realize I like to customize them a little bit :)

Having finally jumped on the XenForo hype, I must say that it's a piece of software that I love. I honestly can't see myself returning to a free option like MyBB. And I'm not a fan of Invision Community (both in terms of price and features).

Having finally jumped on the XenForo hype, I must say that it's a piece of software that I love. I honestly can't see myself returning to a free option like MyBB. And I'm not a fan of Invision Community (both in terms of price and features).
My thoughts exactly, it's solid software all around and very affordable compared to the other premium options.

Reactions: Ash
Wait, this site uses 75 addons? Damn, I think mine uses like 20, I try not to use too many as you know never know what conflicts could come from using so many.

Anyways, Xenforo is an awesome software, I wish it didn't cost so much X_X.

Wait, this site uses 75 addons? Damn, I think mine uses like 20, I try not to use too many as you know never know what conflicts could come from using so many.

It's probably running a few more at the moment, but I plan on re-visiting what is installed at some point and making a few changes..

There's one or two developers out there who don't seem particularly interested in fixing issues with their code.

Don't we all. The renewal fees are an absolute killer which I hate a lot (for the addons mainly). Add to that, the cost of the copyright removals and it's just way too expensive.

Don't we all. The renewal fees are an absolute killer which I hate a lot (for the addons mainly). Add to that, the cost of the copyright removals and it's just way too expensive.

I saw that IPB is becoming more expensive and dropping ticket support, overall, Xenforo is still good.

I saw that IPB is becoming more expensive and dropping ticket support, overall, Xenforo is still good.
It is, but they need to something about the add-ons.. the "premium" model doesn't hold ground when there's no guarantees on the quality of the code (despite there being "resource standards"), and if a developer goes AWOL you're pretty much shit out of luck.

A few more he says.. 🤣 I need to update the description. @Demon_skeith I've just counted 127, and that's not including the little tweaks here and there made directly to the templates..

• Haha
Reactions: Ash

Yeah, it's crazy how expensive IPB is becoming. XenForo is good at the moment but I would be worried that they will start taking inspiration from IPB.

Bloat is a real concern with modern software packages. IPB went that way. There's also software out there that is essentially Facebook but as a script (e.g. phpfox) - I just don't see the need for all that stuff when you can save yourself some money and just stick to the niche stuff!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back