• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Quake 2 RTX

• apathy
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
Just thought I'd share a video I recorded showcasing just how much of an impact full ray traced everything (reflections, refractions, global illumination, shadows and ambient occlusion) and path tracing can have on a game that's over 23 years old. The reflections and lighting are incredible I think you'd agree!

Also, you'll notice the framerate isnt a smooth 60fps - I have a G-SYNC display so while I was playing it felt like a smooth 60... only when playing back the recording I noticed it was between the 40's and 50's! A testament to just how amazing G-SYNC displays are too. I'm not totally sure how it works but as far as I know it just perfectly synchronises the display refresh rate to the framerate so everything feels smooth at all times.

I'm also sorta testing how I'm capturing gameplay - the last couple of times I tried and the quality was a bit lacking. I think I've nailed it here.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Plus.. I need something to do while I'm self-isolating.... :cautious:

Nice, that looks incredible! It's funny I can only really notice the RT in older games or like Minecraft, it's kinda lost on me for games with hyper-realistic graphics.
Kinda funny that even in Quake the RT performance hit is still there

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back