• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

What annoys you as a website owner?

Currently reading:
What annoys you as a website owner?

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
As a website owner, I'm sure we would've come across all manner of things which have stoked the flames and ignited an angry passion inside that we didn't know existed. For me, back when I was less technical than I am now anyway, the most annoying thing for sure was the amount of random, unsolvable errors I would seem to get just trying to change things on my website. I was generally messing with Wordpress files on a sandbox installation on XAMPP but Jesus, fixing things I did were always a source of frustration. What about you? What annoying little niggles have you ran into?

Threads
Media
Reaction score
When I find a design bug on my site, decide to fix it later, forget, and find it again.

JoyFreak

FREAK
Threads
Reaction score
I hate waking up the next day and my site is spammed by some crazy chinese bot.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
Haha, the curse of the Chinese spam-bot. Probably operated personally by Xi Jinping. :p I mean for me, I can deal with one or two overnight but I've had a few times before where I seem to have been literally invaded like I've got a ton of natural resources and I've had literally a couple hundred spambots trying to flog herbal cures for erectile dysfunction. I'm unsure what they're trying to tell me...

Threads
Reaction score
Haha, the curse of the Chinese spam-bot. Probably operated personally by Xi Jinping. :p I mean for me, I can deal with one or two overnight but I've had a few times before where I seem to have been literally invaded like I've got a ton of natural resources and I've had literally a couple hundred spambots trying to flog herbal cures for erectile dysfunction. I'm unsure what they're trying to tell me...
Asking certain questions at user registration will stop most of them. Myself, I ask them what words are backward, for instance, "What is esuoh spelled backward?".

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
Asking certain questions at user registration will stop most of them. Myself, I ask them what words are backward, for instance, "What is esuoh spelled backward?".
Aye but those kind of things really actually annoy me. I'd much rather one of those stupid square CAPTCHA things (or whatever they're called nowadays). I'm aware it's easy enough for me to type in a couple letters but it's one of those things that turn me away from websites. I suppose part of that is just me being lazy but I just like a registration experience to be as painless as possible, not looking for letters on a keyboard to spell an arbitrary word lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Aye but those kind of things really actually annoy me. I'd much rather one of those stupid square CAPTCHA things (or whatever they're called nowadays). I'm aware it's easy enough for me to type in a couple letters but it's one of those things that turn me away from websites. I suppose part of that is just me being lazy but I just like a registration experience to be as painless as possible, not looking for letters on a keyboard to spell an arbitrary word lol.
Captchas don't seem to work for me - but maybe they're better now.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
When I want a feature implementing but it doesn't exist out-of-the-box, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to work it out for myself.. :swearing:

I have a few such ideas at the moment, but I simply don't have the money to throw at custom development.

I've only had suspected spambot registrations so far, no posts have been made yet *touch wood*.

I've reverted back to using this sort of thing, due to the amount of data collected by Google through their reCAPTCHA script.

I'm hopeful however that I can get my paws on a solution being tested at the moment which requires no human verification, but prevents spambots.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
@Andy - Haha, that would be the dream. What kind of solution are you thinking about for that then? Just curious because I don't know myself. The ones I really hate though are the ones that make me do math. Like dude, I'm here to sign up to your website not start up algebra all over again. It's just me being slightly lazy though to be fair, I just like quick and easy but hey, I made it into Nerdface alright haha.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
@Andy - Haha, that would be the dream. What kind of solution are you thinking about for that then?
It has a slightly corny name, but it's the Spaminator. It's currently in a private beta phase..

The ones I really hate though are the ones that make me do math. Like dude, I'm here to sign up to your website not start up algebra all over again. It's just me being slightly lazy though to be fair, I just like quick and easy but hey, I made it into Nerdface alright haha.
Nerdface was using reCAPTCHA when you signed up.. :giggle:

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
Well @Andy, that must have meant that you've made enough of an impression on me that you got me through your gates as I'm a picky fella haha. If I do want to sign up for a website I will battle on but if it's just a general browse kind of thing and the sign-up is like that, it just puts me on a bit of a downer for some reason. And for whatever reason, that Spaminator link is blocked at work (???) so I'll have to have a poke around later but the name alone has got me on board.