• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

PS-IO

Currently reading:
PS-IO

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
After playing around with Open PS2 Loader and PortablizeMii for a little while with mixed results, I started to wonder if there was something similar for the PSone.. There were so many classic games on that console, and the appeal of having them bootable from a USB and not having to change discs has continued to grow.

I initially looked at the XU4 Superior as this not only handles PSone games, but Dreamcast and PSP games too (along with the other more traditional emulator platforms). I decided against it because the consensus is that nothing can beat the gaming experience on the original hardware, and the majority of Dreamcast games that I'd want to play have since been ported to other consoles. Though perhaps if it played PS2 games I may have re-considered, since I've been largely underwhelmed by Open PS2 Loader (it's an emulator and doesn't use the native code).

I can't remember how, but I stumbled upon PS-IO a few months ago and placed a pre-order at my earliest opportunity in August 2018. From what I've seen, I've been hugely impressed by it. There's one or two drawbacks however; It requires some modification to the motherboard for installation, and is currently only for the "classic" PlayStation consoles with a Parallel I/O Port (no PSone support yet). I had a PSone so had to buy a classic console just for this, and I've enlisted the help of one of my friends since I currently have no soldering skills. I was hoping to have it by Christmas, but that now seems unlikely - hopefully I'll have my hands on it in the new year.. I can't wait!

psio-showcase-large_blur.jpg

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
I didn't really understand most of what you said, but i just use epsxe on my pc. Seems to work pretty well.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
I've tried ePSXe but I only have a laptop.

While it runs ok for most games, it doesn't seem to have the level of compatibility of PS-IO (correct me if I'm wrong?).

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
The email that I've been waiting for has finally arrived.. :D

I suspect I probably won't get it until after the new year, but it's confirmed! Hopefully my friend is still available to install it.

ps-io.jpg

Airo

Game and Web Design
Threads
Reaction score
The email that I've been waiting for has finally arrived.. :D

I suspect I probably won't get it until after the new year, but it's confirmed! Hopefully my friend is still available to install it.

View attachment 27
Nice! The only flash cart I've ever owned is the R4, otherwise I've just installed custom firmwares to load games from USB, or a Raspberry Pi loaded with RetroPie

Threads
Reaction score
I've tried ePSXe but I only have a laptop.

While it runs ok for most games, it doesn't seem to have the level of compatibility of PS-IO (correct me if I'm wrong?).
No idea, i only play a few favourites and they seem to work fine.

Don't really get spending money on things that you can do for free.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
Well after a long wait, my PS-IO arrived some time in mid-January - I could hardly wait to get it installed and give it a try.

Unfortunately the friend that was going to attempt installation backed out of doing so, because it was beyond his skills and/or equipment. It actually took me a while to find someone who was willing to take it on; I didn't get any responses from local TV and PC repair shops via email.

I got the console back last week with the circuit board installed, only for it to not work.. :depressed: It continues to load discs ok, but with the cartridge attached to the parallel port it won't go beyond the white BIOS screen with the orange diamond. I've tried taking it apart a couple of times, re-cut the required traces, and even received a small electric shock for my troubles (note: *always* unplug your electronics when working on them!). Still nothing.

The gentleman who did the soldering for me has asked to take another look, but I'm not hopeful it can be salvaged, and suspect I'll have to get another "classic" console and potentially another circuit board for the motherboard modification. It may be a while before I can afford to do so though..

Gutted!