• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Fastly is down.. It’s crazy

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
Fastly is one of the biggest CDNs out there and lends its services to many sites such as Reddit, CNET, GameSpot, Amazon (which includes AWS) and Twitch and as such a lot of them are down or severely hampered by it.

It's kinda nuts how this kinda thing can happen. I don't expect it to be down for long but I've personally never noticed anything as widespread as this before.

I just received notification of this at work (just in case we get flooded with tickets asking why a website isn't working).. 😅

It's like when Cloudflare goes offline, half of the WWW goes down with it!

I seem to remember something similar happening to Cloudflare about a year ago, which caused Youtube and other sites to go down for a few hours.
Things like this will be why I always self-serve files instead of using a CDN - its not good if the whole internet depends on the same few services.

It was crazy to see how many sites went down just because of Fastly. Even the UK Government website went down during the outage. It will be a true test of "Any publicity is good publicity" because most people haven't heard of the company before.

It is insane just how many companies run through the same CDNs...might be time to diversify...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back