• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

Randomizers

• Oblivion Knight
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

jamesyfx

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Guess
(Using the US spelling as that's generally how they are referred)

A Randomizer is a tool for a game which shuffles things around to make it feel fresh - its designed for players that have beaten a game many times and knows where everything is.

There's loads of these for Resident Evil games. Per game they act differently, but in general here's what they do, explained (and these can be toggled):

1. Randomize item placement

Almost every item in the game is shuffled. So for example where a green herb might be, it could be any other item in the game, including weapons or key items.

2. Randomize enemy types

Where a zombie would normally lurk, could be any other enemy in the game, including ones that don't necessarily fit, such as Sharks swimming down dry corridors. Some randomizers even have the option to throw bosses like Tyrant into the pool (yes the bosses can appear multiple times, or in groups).

3. Randomize locks

Self explanatory. A door that would usually be a Sword key, will need a different key.

4. Randomize doors

This is the weirdest one. It breaks the usual flow of the game - any door you go through becomes a portal to any other area. This is fixed mind you, so the doors will always lead back to the same area, it's just that nothing is connected.

Essentially using one of these Randomizers means you need to check every door, check every single item, and make a note of where each door leads, so you can path your way back when you find the item you need. Oh, and all keys are disabled in this mode, as all doors are unlocked.

They're great experiences. It's kinda hilarious when you solve a huge puzzle and your reward is an ink ribbon or something.

It's definitely worth trying one if you've played the games to death and want something fresh.

Here's a short clip of me playing Resident Evil Remake with the randomizer switched on:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Every experience will be different.

So yeah, if you're experienced with the games... would you wanna try one? Or have you used one already?

Unfortunately as a console gamer, I'm limited to Arrange modes that are shipped with the game(s) which change item locations from the Original mode, but are the same on each playthrough.

That being said I'm a bit of a purist, so I don't think I've done a complete runthrough of any such modes! 😅 Especially given that I haven't yet aimed for faster completion times to unlock any extras.. I feel like I'd want to attempt these faster times using my own ability, rather than following a video.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back