• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Meeting up with Online Friends

Currently reading:
Meeting up with Online Friends

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
I suppose the internet counts as a technology so apologies if this is in the wrong place haha. Has anyone here ever met any friends from their time on the internet? For me, I've met a couple people, some that I used to chat with on forums and some that I used to play games with. I have one good friend who lived in America (now in Scotland) that I've met up with when she popped down for a party unbeknownst to me and it wasn't even awkward, it was just like seeing an old friend and was a great experience.

What about you? Ever met up with any online pals?

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I'd say that your thread is in the right forum :)

I've previously had a long-distance relationship with somebody I met online, who I met up with 5 or 6 times. I've also met up with a few members of a past community I created, we arranged a couple of meetup events which was kinda cool. I miss those days!

I've been meaning to meet with @John Cord for the longest time, I've known him for something like 15-20 years now (holy cow).. In fact, send me a PM mate - let's get this done! :beer:

Threads
Reaction score
I used to run a site for a group that became friends while gaming, eventually got to meet up with some of them. They are now real life friends as well as gaming friends.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
Was it a particular game @Creaky, or a few different ones?

@NHD made some good friends whilst playing Counter-Strike, including his now wife! :)

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I met up with another Xbox 360 gamer a couple of times, we'd frequently play online and boost the multiplayer achievements for various games.

For some reason things turned sour after a while.. Toward the end of the friendship, I felt like if he wasn't getting his own way he'd spit his dummy out :xen_sdumo: and I got the impression he didn't like me spending time away from gaming with my wife. Eventually he unfriended me for boosting some PS3 games without him. Admittedly I'd asked him about doing these games, but he wasn't being particularly active about it and there were server shutdown deadlines to keep in mind.. I'd have still helped him afterwards, but once the dummy went again I permanently blocked him from re-adding me - I couldn't be bothered with the drama.

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
I'm not sure I know anyone online enough to go ahead and meet up with them. I know that some subreddits do some meetups. Like there is one called CasualUK or something like that and they did a recent meetup at a pub which was quite interesting. It was funny to see how many men there were although it looked like everyone had a great time.

Threads
Media
Reaction score
I think the first time I ever met up with online friends in the real world was when I met my LDR boyfriend for the first time offline. >//>
I have plans to meet like 2-3 more next year. Also hope to hang out with one of them beforehand, since we're gonna be sharing a hotel room when the time arrives.

Actually, now that I think on it, I've met other people who do NaNoWriMo through write-ins. So that's a lot of online friends IRL! Wow.