• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Is Google Assistant deaf, stupid, or ignorant?

Currently reading:
Is Google Assistant deaf, stupid, or ignorant?

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
There's actually one thing that Apple got right over Android, and that's Siri.

I have to pretty much shout at Google to get it to listen to a full command, it'll play a single instead of an album when I tell it to "Play X by Y", and it'll randomly tell me about a lack of connection. Erm.. You don't need a connection to play music that is stored on my phone you stupid thing!!

I don't remember having any of these issues with my iPhone.. Has anyone else experienced this with Google Assistant, or is it just me? :swearing:

Threads
Reaction score
Don't have much experience with it but Cortana was probably designed much better. I've heard about Siri having issues before. If your sure your saying the right commands and what-not that's a bit odd.

EDIT: Just realize you meant google assistant and you'd rather have Siri. Well Siri or Cortana is a much better choice than Google Assistant I can say that basically with surety.

Threads
Reaction score
I found Google isn't as sensitive to the command word and nothing can beat an Alexa device on that front, but even that throws a hissy fit from time to time. I only use voice commands for speakers round the house and not on my phone. I tried it once but it can't hear you or doesn't activate properly when driving. D'oh.

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
The fact it requires internet is extremely annoying. Basically makes the Google Home Mini useless if you're connection goes. But I've never had any other problems with it. It can actually hear and understand me from quite far away (the Home Mini anyway).

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
I have a funny feeling it may have something to do with how I've named some of my albums..
eg. Rag'n'Bone Man - Human (Deluxe)

If Google is looking for an exact match of Rag'n'Bone Man - Human for example, it'll prioritise the single over the album because of (Deluxe) written afterward.

I need to test the theory, but it seems like a logical (and stupid) one.. :think:

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
Well I pretty much gave up on it after it started being a total :ret_cuss:.

"OK Google"
*Bleep*
"Play <insert album name>"
*OK, here's the album in Google Play Music"
*silence*

I've put some of my favourite albums on to a USB and I can at least control it through the stereo interface..

Who knows, I may try an alternative at some point but for now I'll be "retro".

Threads
Reaction score
Did you set Spotify or whichever streaming or local service as your default music player? With Alexa, occassionally if I don't ask for a playlist "on Spotify" I don't get any playback.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
To be fair I've never really had any luck with any of those 'assistants' lol. Whenever I try and tell my 'Siri' to do something it seems to beep at me in confusion as if I've spoken in Mandarin despite setting it to English when all I'm asking it to do is set a timer for 30 minutes so I know when to check on my food. Honestly, in my time trying a few out though, I actually prefer Google and when I move into my house later in the year I will be decking the place out with Google Mini's to bring myself into the modern world.