• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

The Circle (UK) axed by C4

• jamesyfx
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
I watched the first two series as they aired, and was hooked.. I was late to the third series which was all pre-recorded due to the pandemic, and I'm currently trying to finish watching it before it gets taken off the catch-up service. It's probably been my favourite series so far, but after todays news it may also quite possibly be the last.

It felt very much like the next Big Brother, but was almost entirely based on it's own social media style platform. Contestants lived in a single block of studio style flats, created a profile, uploaded pictures, and even communicated via it's own messenger style application. The only time contestants met each other were once they had been 'blocked' (they could choose to meet ONE person before leaving), or in the final once votes had already been cast.

The twist was that contestants could choose whether to play as themselves, or catfish as someone entirely different - thus serving to raise awareness with young adults that not everyone you speak with online is necessarily who you believe they are.

I feel it's a shame that Channel 4 have decided not to commission a fourth series, but hopefully it may yet get picked up by Netflix (who broadcast the US version) or another broadcaster.

Have you watched the show? Have there been any standout moments for you? Do you feel that C4 were right to end the show on a high?

This is a TV show I enjoyed, bizarrely.. I dislike most reality TV and social media and this seems to be like the most reality TV+social media combo that has ever existed...

I know Netflix have the rights to a USA series, so it will probably continue on there.

I didn't watch it but looking at some of the social media sites I was on, it was clear that it was a somewhat popular show here in the UK. I wonder if another channel or even streaming platform takes over in the UK

Still no news on it being taken on by someone else, and the casting applications are currently closed.. 😕

I finally got around to finishing the third series a couple of weeks ago after having the winner spoiled for me, ironically while posting this thread. I always enjoy the reveal when the last few contestants meet in the 'inner circle' before the results are known.. "What the bloody!"

Netflix is reportedly creating a new version The Circle after it was dropped from Channel 4 this year.

The streaming service will produce and stream The Circle USA, which will feature contestants from both the US and the UK, according to reports.

An insider told The Sun: 'Using an international cast of contestants is an approach that's already proved successful with similar shows, such as the steamy dating favourite Too Hot to Handle.'

The third series of Netflix's US version will air later this year, with a further two series already having been commissioned. Auditions for British stars are said to have already started.

The show will continue with its title of The Circle USA as Netflix has not acquired the rights to the British version from Channel 4.

US comedian Michelle Buteau will continue as host of The Circle USA, so The Circle presenter Emma Willis is not expected to return.
Source: Metro

The Circle as we know it won't be coming back.. Instead, potential contestants from the UK will now be able to apply for the American version.

Seems to be a financial decision more than anything.. :moneybag_face:

I've started watching the 3rd series with the Mrs. I think the personalities of the people inside are kinda samey with each series which is the only thing. Other than that though it's still a decent way to kill some time and have something to gossip about. :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back