• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Giving Away Free Stuff as Promotion

Currently reading:
Giving Away Free Stuff as Promotion

Threads
Reaction score
Giving away free stuff can be valuable promotion for your site. In fact, some people might give away - most everything on their site, leaving a few things to sell, but that's often good enough. Anyway, though, the bad side of all of this is - perhaps the free stuff is too much. I mean, what should really be given away and what shouldn't? For instance, some Patreon owners have noticed that making certain things pay, that would otherwise be free - has made them more money, not driven away customers - who one might assume are angered by greed.

What are some examples of this mode of marketing in action?

• Free Hosting (a situation where a certain number of people upgrade for a better service - and often that percentage low).
  • Giving Away E-books

Can anyone think of more examples?

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Freebies can work quite well depending on how you do it. But you must be prepared to give away items to people that may not even bother to use your brand and may not purchase anything from you. So sometimes, depending on your current userbase, it's better to target current customers with freebies.

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
Freebies can work quite well depending on how you do it. But you must be prepared to give away items to people that may not even bother to use your brand and may not purchase anything from you. So sometimes, depending on your current userbase, it's better to target current customers with freebies.
Freebies, with most people, probably also need a lot of people. In other words, it's a numbers game - and also the people need to be targeted. But, getting an ideal list isn't easy or cheap, lol.

Smokey

Revillution C.E.O / Mixer Streamer
Threads
Reaction score
I've thought about getting things like pins or stickers designed to help promote Revillution, and i'm thinking maybe leaving it around town and such would be good publicity. :) I have a few ideas for merch as well such as t-shirts. :)

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to begin with marketing freebies, and doubt it would be particularly cost effective..

Would you really get much more traffic as a small-time community from giving away stationary? Where would you try and give your stock away for best exposure? As @Ash said, it may be better giving away promotional items to existing members so that they feel they're receiving a bit of extra value, but then you'd have additional postage costs to consider.