• Umbrella Online is a closed and invite-only community forum for discussion of the Resident Evil series, and other survival horror games, movies, and tv shows.
    Being a member is a great way to network, meet like-minded people … plus it removes this notice.

If you are interested in joining and participating please Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!
    We do this to protect our community.

BAME

• jamesyfx
    Last reply
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list

Oblivion Knight

Bang bang!
Administrator
Reaction score
Name
Andy
BAME stands for Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic..

It's origins date back to the 1970s, but seems to have only recently started being used again by politicians following the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement and the coronavirus pandemic.

It now looks likely to be scrapped from any "official" government use, with many people rejecting the term labelling it as "a safe word to not come off as racist".

It certainly remains to be a difficult subject, despite all the strides forward in tackling racism - and no, I'm not suggesting that it doesn't exist..

I will always try to refer to people using just their name, but occasionally you feel obliged to try and describe someone and it's very difficult not to start with "they're black / asian". Is this automatically a bad thing? If my friend James was trying to describe me to his family, would he start with "he's white" - or is it just something that wouldn't even enter into conversation? 🤔

..and yesterday was one of few times that I actually enjoyed listening to LBC (my boss insists on doing so!) 😅

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's awkward when the older generation who think they're being extra polite and inoffensive actually say really inappropriate things.

Like, where I used to work this older guy used to always ask for "the coloured gentleman" when he wanted help from a specific colleague. In his mind saying black was the more racist term.

Hopefully one day we will all see each other as one in the same, so we don't need to make distinctions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Contact us for an invitation code, or proceed to Register if you already have one!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Home Register
Back