• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to register an account to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, registration is free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Game of Thrones too dark? Learn to tune your TV!

Currently reading:
Game of Thrones too dark? Learn to tune your TV!

2zztvr.jpgSo says Game of Thrones cinematographer Fabian Wagner.

If you found yourself squinting at the TV and/or changing your settings in the early hours of Monday to try and see what was actually happening in parts of the latest episode, you're certainly not alone! Many fans have commented about it on social media with some claiming it to feel like they're watching a bootleg, and have sought clarification about scenes that were particularly difficult to decipher what was actually happening.

However, Fabian felt the need to publicly defend the production of the episode and instead placed the blame with its viewers:
Fabian Wagner said:
A lot of the problem is that a lot of people don’t know how to tune their TVs properly [...] A lot of people also unfortunately watch it on small iPads, which in no way can do justice to a show like that anyway.
I don't know about you, but I find that statement quite offensive and a bit of a cop-out. I for one haven't felt the need to tweak the tuning for my TV with anything else that I've tried to watch and/or play over the past few years, be it films, video games, or other TV shows.

My TV isn't exactly small at 42", though admitedly it is quite an old plasma unit (about 10 years). That doesn't appear to be the issue though, especially as modern units with true black technology equally struggled with the episode and made the darker scenes even more so.

Did you have any issues? If so, did you manage to find a setting change to compensate? Let us know in the comments!

Andy Dobson
I have a 2017/2018 Sony TV (XF9 Series) and use Home Cinema mode a lot, to really get the best out of the picture quality. But GoT is really dark. A few other 'gritty' style shows are as well, so I've changed the picture mode to one which boosts all the colours. It's a shame as it does look very fake now, but Sony offer a lot of user customisable settings to play with. I do still find some scenes dark, but people tend to forget it isn't limited to GoT.

I would understand it if this was a problem with just a few people. But the vast majority of people that were watching it had problems and most of them are aware that it was issues to do with streaming the episode. Instead of offering a better solution, they just put the blame on us. Not great really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom