• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Fire at Notre-Dame

Currently reading:
Fire at Notre-Dame

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
Truly shocking when a monument of such history could have been potentially wiped out in a matter of minutes, potentially by "renovation" works..

Notre-Dame saved within vital half hour

Makes me thankful that @Lady Nerdface and I visited whilst on our honeymoon.

Emmanuel Macron states that he wants the cathedral to be rebuilt within five years, but it seems a bit unrealistic to me..

Threads
Reaction score
I just think it's shocking that there are two super rich guys just casually giving their money away to help rebuild it. Someone donated £200M. The mind boggles how you can be so casual about it. I'm also really appreciative to them though for obvious reasons.

Airo

Game and Web Design
Threads
Reaction score
Well, for some people 200m is pocket change. What I want to know is how the fire got so out of hand before emergency crews even got there in the first place - it's not like it's some derelict building nobody went to.

Threads
Reaction score
There was a good Reddit thread about it. The roof timbers and the scaffold platforms all went up, so I guess as you enter the building from below you wouldn't see it due to all the stonework.

I'll try and dig the link up later today.

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
I just think it's shocking that there are two super rich guys just casually giving their money away to help rebuild it. Someone donated £200M. The mind boggles how you can be so casual about it. I'm also really appreciative to them though for obvious reasons.
It's such a shame to see this happen especially to such a building. But the donations given to it are crazy. I understand that it is a special building for France but I wonder what else that money could do. I mean, it is their money so they can do what they want but it's crazy that someone can just casually donate that much.

Threads
Reaction score
At least they saved it from completely collapsing and it seems they also saved the well known "crown of thorns" from being destroyed. That right there is a miracle itself so at least the best was salvaged.

Milo

Ser Bronn Of The Blackwater
Threads
Reaction score
After the initial 'oh my god, Notre Dam is on fire' shock, some people are turning against the idea of ploughing so much money into restoring it arguing that money could be spent better elsewhere such as on cancer research etc etc.. I mean you could use that argument for many money sinking projects throughout the world with the EU being one of them!

Personally, I think it's important they try to restore it. It's part of the French culture and has been for many many years and is a major tourist attraction.

Threads
Reaction score
I agree about the comparisons, but it's money from individuals. You can't dictate how people use their own money.

Threads
Reaction score
I'm a bit disgusted how people are making jokes about it. One was how god couldn't even save his own place while another was a pun that I can't properly remember for the name "Fire at Notre-Dame".

I'm happy no one was injured or at least I think no one was injured.