• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Does anyone use CloudFlare?

Currently reading:
Does anyone use CloudFlare?

Threads
Reaction score
Hello NerdFace!

I use CloudFlare for most of my sites and have started to get a bit iffy with them. I was just wondering what you guys thought of CloudFlare?

Milo

Ser Bronn Of The Blackwater
Threads
Reaction score
I tried them about two years ago but had nothing but problems. Mainly related to DNS which caused me a headache for a few days. Reverted back and not used since. Why you getting itchy feet Malcolm?

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I've never considered using them, and even less so since the CloudFlare-AlwaysOnline spiders seem to be practically glued to Nerdface.

They ignore robots.txt, I've tried rejecting them through htaccess, I've tried registering an account through cPanel to turn off Always Online functionality (just in case). I simply don't seem to be able to get rid of them! CloudFlare's advice? Pay them and they can stop nuisance spiders! :swearing:

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
I've never considered using them, and even less so since the CloudFlare-AlwaysOnline spiders seem to be practically glued to Nerdface.

They ignore robots.txt, I've tried rejecting them through htaccess, I've tried registering an account through cPanel to turn off Always Online functionality (just in case). I simply don't seem to be able to get rid of them! CloudFlare's advice? Pay them and they can stop nuisance spiders! :swearing:
There must be a real reason why CF-AlwaysOnline is inhabiting your site like that. They don't usually tend to do that.

And also guys I use CloudFlare on my site. You can't beat free DDoS protection unmitigated. That's CF's new policy now. How can anyone compete with that. Plus you have an extra added layer of security. Been using them ever since my old web host introduced me to them around 6 years ago.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
There must be a real reason why CF-AlwaysOnline is inhabiting your site like that. They don't usually tend to do that.
It seems like this is my mistake with custom code added to a spider detection script..

Nerdface has been identifying guests and other spiders as CloudFlare-AlwaysOnline, probably for quite some time! I have reset the script back to it's default, I will remove the htaccess block, and monitor the situation going forward.

Apologies to CloudFlare.

Threads
Reaction score
I use it on some websites purely to hide the server IP. I also use Amazon SES if I need to send out emails to keep the IP masked.

Other than that, I don't use Cloudflare.

I heard it's good for other purposes but I think I'm good.

Airo

Game and Web Design
Threads
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever used it for is SRV with Free on domains, so can't say much about it.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
..so Nerdface is now using CloudFlare :)

I haven't identified any issues so far, if anything the website feels slightly faster. Hopefully it continues!

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
I tried them about two years ago but had nothing but problems. Mainly related to DNS which caused me a headache for a few days. Reverted back and not used since. Why you getting itchy feet Malcolm?
Kinda, well I haven't had any issues with them but I had a few people bring up that they weren't all that great.

To this day have you figured out how to get rid of them?
I use it on some websites purely to hide the server IP. I also use Amazon SES if I need to send out emails to keep the IP masked.

Other than that, I don't use Cloudflare.

I heard it's good for other purposes but I think I'm good.
Hmm that's kinda why I use them, I use it to hide my IP and the fast DNS changes stuff. Do you find Amazon SES to be good?
The only thing I've ever used it for is SRV with Free on domains, so can't say much about it.
Oh okay!
..so Nerdface is now using CloudFlare :)

I haven't identified any issues so far, if anything the website feels slightly faster. Hopefully it continues!
Hahaha welcome to the club ;)

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
--EDIT--
..and we're back off CloudFlare.

Partially due to the recent outage, but also because of data privacy.

To this day have you figured out how to get rid of them?
Yes, I was running custom code that was incorrectly identifying all guests and some spiders as CloudFlare when they weren't.. :mischievous:

Last edited: