• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Do you trust auto mechanics?

Currently reading:
Do you trust auto mechanics?

Threads
Reaction score
Too many scammers where I live. Good thing I found an honest one. Anyway, the industry is so crooked - you have Christian Auto Mechanics.

Threads
Reaction score
I don’t trust them.. they will say you need parts changed but probably don’t. They just want the money

Threads
Reaction score
You can apply this to anything you don't know about though. My mechanic knew I tinkered with cars and that I could buy parts at trade, and he was ok with me getting my own stuff. I think that's a sign they're a decent mechanic.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
The only place I've found not to trust is Kwik-Fit. They're a pretty big chain in the UK, but they gave me various advisories once that I wasn't particularly convinced about..

I went to get a second opinion from a local garage who basically told me that everything was fine, and the items mentioned on the advisory notice wouldn't need replacing for at least another year or two. I pretty much always took my car(s) to them following that, until recently. I've since moved and it's much more convenient to take it somewhere more local..

Milo

Ser Bronn Of The Blackwater
Threads
Reaction score
Kwik-Fit are a bunch of con-men and always have been. I would find a local garage you can trust and stick with them.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
I have issues trusting people anyway when it comes to spending money of some kind haha. I know for example my step-father has had no end of problems when it comes to getting his car serviced. As he's got an older car anyway it's always had some issues and whenever we've took it to the mechanics it seems like we've always had 'something wrong' which wasn't actually wrong per se, probably on it's way but not for a while anyway. For the most part, he's ended up just using forums for help and replacing parts himself as and when (bar the MOT obviously). Lot more trustworthy when you do it yourself!

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
I think it's always slightly hard to trust people with a service based industry where you don't know much about what you're getting it. That's why I guess it's important to know a tiny bit about your car, the problems and what may be causing it. Not easy to do of course.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
I think it's always slightly hard to trust people with a service based industry where you don't know much about what you're getting it. That's why I guess it's important to know a tiny bit about your car, the problems and what may be causing it. Not easy to do of course.
I'd certainly agree with that statement to be fair. I don't have a driver’s license yet so I can't really talk but I try to know at least the basics of cars so that I can help my fiancée out (which was needed when we had to stop on a hill in Wales!) and it does make a difference. At least understanding what they mean when they say [insert complicated car part here] helps I find, might make people take a minute to think you could know what they're on about so they won't play games lol.

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
My guess is that in the UK, like the Asian nations I visited, the drivers don't pump the gas. Well, how much car repairing do they do alone on average?