• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Dark, Light Themes - In-between?

Currently reading:
Dark, Light Themes - In-between?

Threads
Reaction score
What do you all prefer? I would prefer different types - for different sites. Also, I wouldn't want to make a site "too dark" or "too light".

O.K., well, at the moment I have dark and light sites - but nothing - in between. However, they aren't "too much of one color".

Threads
Reaction score
I prefer dark or light colours that are easy on the eyes. My site CodeForum has multiple colours but I prefer my dark style. Way easier on the eyes

Threads
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of light themes. They tend to draw me in much better than dark themes. Really because making friends and the content is what matters. Sometimes darker themes don't really do well with me. I can deal with it if it's professional like @Malcolm 's site but I still prefer light ones.

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
I think giving people an option between light and dark is good - but the question remains: "What will be the default?".

Threads
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of light themes. They tend to draw me in much better than dark themes. Really because making friends and the content is what matters. Sometimes darker themes don't really do well with me. I can deal with it if it's professional like @Malcolm 's site but I still prefer light ones.
I don't mind light themes as long as it is not too bright. It seems like NerdFace @Andy has done a great job when it comes to using the light theme.
I think giving people an option between light and dark is good - but the question remains: "What will be the default?".
I just think it really depends on the members and the niche. Ask the members what they think

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
For myself, I'm a big fan of dark themes as for whatever reason it just seems to 'flow' better with me and keep me looking at a site instead of looking away trying to give my eyes a 'break' from the theme. Naturally, if you're thinking of running a site nowadays I think it is important to at least have the option between both a light and a dark one to ensure your users actually have a choice in the matter. I do tend to stray from sites which want to keep me locked into a particular style. I couldn't honestly care less if you've dumped a couple hundred in producing a custom theme, I may want something different than that.

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I'd say light themes are easier to design, and give a more modern feel to the UX.. That being said, I do find myself using the Dark theme at Nerdface more and more. It's just a bit easier on the eyes!

As others have said, it's a pretty basic requirement these days to have light and dark options for your users. I just chose to take it a step further with different colour sets being available via the 'Customise' option.. :innocent:

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
I like dark for the default, for most sites - but as @MarteeBe suggested, I'm also adding optional light themes.

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
I like dark for the default, for most sites - but as @MarteeBe suggested, I'm also adding optional light themes.
That's a good move @TheJason - I like sites which do that, at least it provides the users with a choice on their own browsing experience. I really do detest sites which 'force' me into using one particular theme just because that's how it is. Nowadays, people do like choice so I think it's only fair to at least give people that. I honestly couldn't care if it's a light/dark theme or a bring purple/pink one, at least give me the option anyway.