• Hello and thank you for your visit to Nerdface.

You are free to look around and read some of our discussions, but you'll need to sign up to be able to participate and share your opinion.

Don't worry, sign ups are free and we have a Privacy policy disclosing how your data is used.

Ad-blockers - What to do?

Currently reading:
Ad-blockers - What to do?

Threads
Reaction score
A lot of people have them - cause nobody likes ads! ;) Anyway, some (forums, blogs) are trying to get around the problem with anti-ad-blockers or begging people - out of the kindness of their hearts - to turn off them off the blockers.

Well, my take on this is that - "The customer is always right." - generally speaking. They simply just don't like ads! In that case, I'd rather shoot for another form of revenue - like say, a Patreon page, classifieds section, paid signatures, paid posts, forum links that go to an ad (maybe not annoying).

Threads
Reaction score
I don't currently own it yet but a good way to make money is to use Siropus ads manager 2 which would allow you to sell ad space. You could have something up that says "purchase this ad" or whatever and someone could pay to host their ad and simply ad it to a cart and pay. That's what forum promotion does with their site. There's also [TH] Monetize which just released a while ago. A little uncertain on it's features as I haven't looked into it but I'm sure it's the same type thing with that one.

Also for Xenforo 1 there used to be all kinds of add-ons that would warn someone if they had an ad blocker and tell them to cut it off and so forth. Really a backwards way to fix it, but it's still an option. I think this is a feature in ads manager 2 as well.

You can also charge for stickies.... etc

Threads
Reaction score
paid signatures, paid posts, forum links that go to an ad (maybe not annoying).
Aren't those all ads?

I think some ad blockers now block links they believe are meant to be advertising. I don't know how updated they are in their tech today because I don't use ad blockers anymore. I like to support the sites I visit by viewing their ads.

Anyway, I'd just set up a message to display to adblock users. Adblocks probably block it too but what the heck.

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
paid signatures, paid posts, forum links that go to an ad (maybe not annoying).
Aren't those all ads?

I think some ad blockers now block links they believe are meant to be advertising. I don't know how updated they are in their tech today because I don't use ad blockers anymore. I like to support the sites I visit by viewing their ads.

Anyway, I'd just set up a message to display to adblock users. Adblocks probably block it too but what the heck.
In that case. I'd stick with a classifieds, a member's only section. or Patreon. Big traffic should make those profitable.

I wouldn't want to force people to do something they hate - not good business.

Threads
Reaction score
Ad blockers are going to do the job of removing the ads. I don't think you can stop that and force them to watch the ads if they're just browsing the site like a normal person. You can try to convince them to whitelist your website to support it.

Threads
Reaction score
  • Thread starter Thread starter
Ad blockers are going to do the job of removing the ads. I don't think you can stop that and force them to watch the ads if they're just browsing the site like a normal person. You can try to convince them to whitelist your website to support it.
Would that be as successful as asking people to donate? :silly: (sarcasm)

Andy

Bazinga!
Threads
Media
Reaction score
I stopped using ad-blockers a while ago because I got sick of the anti ad-block notices. In some instances they were more intrusive than the ads they were intended to block, and blocking them would often make the website unusable.. :xen_wtf:

Now I'll either support a website that I use frequently by upgrading to a premium membership, or find an alternative website to use in its place.

Nerdface doesn't run any ads yet, but that may have to change at some point in the future..

MarteeBe

The 'Coventrian'
Threads
Reaction score
I stopped using ad-blockers a while ago because I got sick of the anti ad-block notices. In some instances they were more intrusive than the ads they were intended to block, and blocking them would often make the website unusable.. :xen_wtf:

Now I'll either support a website that I use frequently by upgrading to a premium membership, or find an alternative website to use in its place.

Nerdface doesn't run any ads yet, but that may have to change at some point in the future..
This is where I say I'm the type of person who always sits with an ad blocker on at all times and I will go as far as to open 'Inspect Element' and remove those intrusive 'Remove adblock' ads and the overlays that come with them just so I can continue using the website. I've used it on certain news sites before and read the article that they had behind that little overlay. Take that paywalls.